Phage infections may be very destructive in bioprocesses for a company's productivity. Based on our research we propose different ways of assistance - from personnel training, through consulting and process optimization in aspect of phage growth limitation, to assistance in projecting new facilities. All people involved in Phage Consultants activities are experts in the field of bacteriophage biology with special emphasis on bacteriophages in bioprocesses.
Now, on the basis of our broad experience, we also offer an assistance in eradication and prevention of other types of contaminations in all types of bioprocesses.
Due to frequent inquiries, we introduced a contract research service in all aspects of bacteriophage use in various fields of biotechnology, medicine, food and crop protection etc. Our extensive expertise in phage biology research help us deliver to you high quality results in relatively short time and in competitive price.
Our another activity is contract phage manufacturing and phage purification service.
Phage Consultants is the category winner in "Microenterpreneur of the year" contest organized by CitiBank Foundation. We would like to thank our customers for their support, as without their appreciation to our services we would not achieve that. Details about the prize. About the results in 2012 (Polish).
Contaminations are one of major threats in bioprocesses. If contamination occurs, it may result in complete paralysis of facility productivity. Although even the best protection do not guarantee that no contamination problems will occur, better prepared facility will recover faster, and the contamination will not turn into outbreak. The company Phage Consultants was created to help companies which production is based on microbial activities, to fight with and prevent from bacteriophages and other contaminants. Based on our research and experience we offer different ways of assistance: from personnel training, through consulting and process optimization, to the help in development of new facilities. Phage Consultants can help you in avoiding contaminations and in recovery from contaminations, which already occurred
Our publications from the field of phage-related research are listed below . If you need a reprint of any of following papers use "contact" formular.
- Stefano Donaldio, Renato Paladino, Italo Constanzi, Piero Sparapani, Werner Schreil, Maurizio Iaccarino (1986) Characterization of bacteriophage infecting Streptomyces erythraeus of phage resistant mutant. Journal of Bacteriology 166, 1055-1060
- Agata Czyz, Marcin Los, Borys Wrobel, Grzegorz Wegrzyn (2001) Inhibition of spontaneous induction of lambdoid prophages in Escherichia coli cultures: simple procedures with possible biotechnological applications. BMC Biotechnology, 1, 1
- Marcin Los, Grzegorz Wegrzyn, Peter Neubauer (2003) A role for bacteriophage T4 rI gene function in the control of phage development during pseudolysogeny and in slowly growing host cells. Research in Microbiology, 154, 547-552
- Magdalena Gabig-Ciminska, Marcin Los, Anders Holmgren, Jorg Albers, Agata Czyz, Reiner Hintsche, Grzegorz Węgrzyn, Sven-Olof Enfors (2004) Detection of bacteriophage infection and prophage induction in bacterial cultures by means of electric DNA chips. Analytical Biochemistry, 342, 84-91
- Marcin Los, Agata Czyz, Eugenia Sell, Alicja Wegrzyn, Peter Neubauer, Grzegorz Wegrzyn (2004). Bacteriophage contamination: is there a simple method to reduce its deleterious effects in laboratory cultures and biotechnological factories? Journal of Applied Genetics, 45, 61-70
- Marcin Los, Joanna M. Los, Lars Blohm, Edzard Spillner, Thomas Grunwald, Jorg Albers, Rainer Hintsche, Grzegorz Wegrzyn (2005). Rapid detection of viruses using electrical biochips and anti-virion sera. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 40, 479-85
- Marcin Los (2006). Coliphages in their natural environment: strategies of survival. In “Modern Bacteriophage Biology and Biotechnology”. Research Signpost, Kerala, India. 103-114.
- Jozef Nieradko, Marcin Los (2006). Strategies by which a bacterial population can survive phage infections. In “Modern Bacteriophage Biology and Biotechnology”. Research Signpost, Kerala, India. 115-128
- Marcin Los (2006). Virus detection today. In “Modern Bacteriophage Biology and Biotechnology”. Research Signpost, Kerala, India. 129-140
- Peter Neubauer, Berndt Mathiszik, Marcin Los (2006). Simulation tool for estimation of optimal bacterial growth rate to reduce effects caused by bacteriophages. In “Modern Bacteriophage Biology and Biotechnology”. Research Signpost, Kerala, India. 153-164
- Marcin Los, Piotr Golec, Joanna M Los, Anna Weglewska-Jurkiewicz, Agata Czyz, Alicja Wegrzyn, Grzegorz Wegrzyn, Peter Neubauer (2007). Effective inhibition of lytic development of bacteriophages ?, P1 and T4 by starvation of their host, Escherichia coli. BMC Biotechnology 7:13
- Joanna M. Los , Piotr Golec, Grzegorz Wegrzyn, Alicja Wegrzyn, Marcin Los (2008).Simple method for plating Escherichia coli bacteriophages forming very small plaques or no plaques under standard conditions. Appl Environ Microbiol. 74, 5113-20
- Marcin Los, Joanna M. Los, Grzegorz Wegrzyn (2009). Rapid Identification of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) Using Electric Biochips.Diagn Mol Pathol. 17,179-84
- Joanna M. Los, Marcin Los, Alicja Wegrzyn, Grzegorz Wegrzyn (2010). Differential efficiency of induction of various lambdoid prophages responsible for production of Shiga toxins in response to different induction agents. Microb Pathog. 47,289-98
- Joanna M. Los, Marcin Los, Alicja Wegrzyn, Grzegorz Wegrzyn (2010). Hydrogen peroxide-mediated induction of the Shiga toxin-converting lambdoid prophage ST2-8624 in Escherichia coli O157:H7. FEMS Immunol. Med. Microbiol. 58:322-329
- Monika Glinkowska, Joanna M. Los, Anna Szambowska, Agata Czyz, Joanna Calkiewicz, Anna Herman-Antosiewicz, Borys Wrobel, Grzegorz Wegrzyn, Alicja Wegrzyn, Marcin Los (2010). Influence of the Escherichia coli oxyR gene function on lambda prophage maintenance. Arch Microbiol. 192,673-83
- Marcin Los (2010). Contamination concerns. European Biopharmaceutical Review, 51, 78-80
- Piotr Golec, Aleksandra Wiczk, Anna Majchrzyk, Joanna M. Los, Grzegorz Wegrzyn, Marcin Los (2010). A role for accessory genes rI.-1 and rI.1 in the regulation of lysis inhibition by bacteriophage T4. Virus Genes. 41, 459-68
- Piotr Golec, Aleksandra Wiczk, Joanna M. Los, Grazyna Konopa, Grzegorz Wegrzyn, Marcin Los (2011). Persistence of bacteriophage T4 in a starved Escherichia coli culture: evidence for the presence of phage subpopulations. Journal of General Virology 92, 997 - 1003
- Piotr Golec, Kamil Dabrowski, Monika Hejnowicz, Agnieszka Gozdek , Joanna M. Los, Grzegorz Wegrzyn, Malgorzata Lobocka, Marcin Los (2011). A reliable method for storage of tailed phages. Journal of Microbiological Methods 84, 486-489
- Ewelina Klawitter, Danuta Kunikowska, Ewa Tokarska-Pietrzak, Halina Dziadziuszko, Joanna M. Łoś, Piotr Golec, Grzegorz Węgrzyn, Marcin Łoś (2011) Specific detection of Salmonella enterica and Escherichia coli strains by using ELISA with bacteriophages as recognition agents. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases 30, 1067-1073
- Marcin Łoś (2011). The age of phage. European Biopharmaceutical Review 56, 58-62
- Joanna M. Łoś, Marcin Łoś, Grzegorz Węgrzyn (2011) Bacteriophages carrying Shiga toxin genes: genomic variations, detection and potential treatment of pathogenic bacteria. Future Microbiol. 6, 909-924.
- Marcin Łoś (2011). Phage in Therapy and Prophylaxis – History and Future Prospects. International Pharmaceutical Industry. 3, 30-34
- Grzegorz Węgrzyn, Marcin Łoś. Pseudolysogeny 2012. Advances in Virus Research. 82:339-49
- Marcin Łoś .2012 “Minimization and Prevention of Phage Infections in Bioprocesses” w Microbial Metabolic Engineering (ed. Cheng Qiong)(cykl Methods in Molecular Biology, Vol. 834). 834:305-15.
- Magdalena Jakubowska-Deredas, Agata Jurczak-Kurek, Malwina Richert, Marcin Łoś, Magdalena Narajczyk, Borys Wróbel, (2012) Diversity of tailed phages in Baltic Sea sediment: Large number of siphoviruses with extremely long tails. Research in Microbiology163: 292-6
- Piotr Golec, Joanna Karczewska-Golec, Marcin Łoś, Grzegorz Węgrzyn 2012, Novel ZnO-binding peptides obtained by the screening of a phage display peptide library. Journal of Nanoparticle Research. 14:1218
- Marcin Łoś (2012). The Good, the bad and the ugly. European Biopharmaceutical Review ?, 68-72
- Golec P, Karczewska-Golec J, Voigt B, Albrecht D, Schweder T, Hecker M, Wegrzyn G, Łoś M. 2013 Proteomic profiles and kinetics of development of bacteriophage T4 and its rI and rIII mutants in slowly growing Escherichia coli. J Gen Virol. 94:896-905. doi: 10.1099/vir.0.048686-0. Epub 2012 Dec 12.
- Bloch S, Nejman-Faleńczyk B, Łoś JM, Barańska S, Lepek K, Felczykowska A, Łoś M, Węgrzyn G, Węgrzyn A. 2013 Genes from the exo-xis region of λ and Shiga toxin-converting bacteriophages influence lysogenization and prophage induction. Arch Microbiol. 195:693-703
- Angelika Kaczyńska, Marcin Łoś, Grzegorz Węgrzyn 2013 An improved method for efficient isolation and purification of genomic DNA from filamentous cyanobacteria belonging to genera Anabaena, Nodularia and Nostoc. OCEANOLOGICAL AND HYDROBIOLOGICAL STUDIES 42: 8-13
- Loś JM, Loś M, Węgrzyn A, Węgrzyn G. 2013. Altruism of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli: recent hypothesis versus experimental results. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2:166.
- Golec, Piotr, Karczewska-Golec, Joanna, Łoś, Marcin, Węgrzyn, Grzegorz, (2014) Bacteriophage T4 can produce progeny virions in extremely slowly growing Escherichia coli host: comparison of a mathematical model with the experimental data. FEMS Microbiol Lett, 351:156-61, doi 10.1111/1574-6968.12372
- Žiga Hodnika, Joanna M. Łoś, Aleš Žulaa, Nace Zidara, Žiga Jakopina, Marcin Łoś, Marija Sollner Dolenca, Janez Ilaša, Grzegorz Węgrzyn, Lucija Peterlin Mašiča, Danijel Kikelja, 2014, Inhibition of biofilm formation by conformationally constrained indole-based analogues of the marine alkaloid oroidin. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 24, 2530–2534
- Adam Lesniewski, Marcin Los, Martin Jonsson-Niedziółka, Anna Krajewska, Katarzyna Szot, Joanna M. Los, and Joanna Niedziolka-Jonsson, 2014, Antibody Modified Gold Nanoparticles for Fast and Selective, Colorimetric T7 Bacteriophage Detection. Bioconjugate chemistry 25, 644–648
- Palanisamy Kannan, Marcin Los, Joanna M. Los, Joanna Niedziolka-Jonsson, (2014). T7 bacteriophage induced changes of gold nanoparticle morphology: biopolymer capped gold nanoparticles as versatile probes for sensitive plasmonic biosensors. Analyst 139, 3563-3571